Skipper Inspires Reds to Victory

Skipper Steven Gerrard inspired his Liverpool side to victory after coming from behind to win 3-1 away to 10- man Leicester City at the King Power Stadium.

Gerrard returned to the starting XI after being rested during the weekend victory over Stoke to lead the reds to their first league away win since 19th October.

Leicester City opened the scoring when Leonardo Ulloa’s close range shot bounced off the post only to deflect in off Simon Mignolet into the net.

Liverpool levelled the scoring with Adam Lallana’s half-volley strike, for then their skipper to take them into the lead just before the dismissal of Wes Morgan on the hour mark for a foul on Rickie Lambert. Jordan Henderson secured the points late on for the reds.

Rodgers decision to omit Gerrard from their weekend victory raised speculation over the future of their talisman. The Liverpool skipper returned to the side raring to go and determined to prove his doubters wrong, as he produced a vintage performance to motivate his team to only their third away win of the season.

The foxes started off brightly as they applied pressure from kick-off. Liverpool keeper Mignolet almost gifted the home side with an early lead as he miss-kicked the ball for Esteban Cambiasso, only to hit and miss an open goal.

The newly-promoted side took the lead on the 22nd minute when their club-record signing Leonardo Ulloa took advantage of some poor defending to hit a close range angled shot, to then bounce off the post and deflect in off the reds keeper Mignolet.

Leicester's club-record signing Ulloa opens the scoresheet

Leicester’s club-record signing Ulloa opens the scoresheet

Liverpool were desperate to build on from Saturday’s victory against Stoke and continued to search for the leveller. Some poor defending from the home side led to Adam Lallana’s 50th league goal as a knock down from Lambert saw the England international stroke home a left footed half-volley for the equaliser.

Lallana scores his 50th League goal

Lallana scores his 50th League goal

The game seemed in the balance as chances were few yet far between both sides. It was left to the Liverpool skipper on his return to capitalise on some dreadful defending by Wes Morgan as the ball kindly dropped into his stride for him to coolly slot home his first goal since 27th September and Liverpool’s second of the game to take the lead.

On the hour mark Leicester City were subjected to 10 men as their captain Wes Morgan was issued a straight red for his foul on Rickie Lambert.

With 10 men on the field the hosts didn’t seem to faze much of the reds defence. Liverpool looked comfortable for the remainder of the game, as they added a third seven minutes from time.

An error from Schmeichel saw Sterling latch on; to cut back for Jordan Henderson to be in the right place at the right time to tap home for the visitors and seal the points.

Liverpool now move up to eighth in the league after back-to-back league wins.